Thursday, July 23, 2009
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
by J. K. Rowling
2. Margin of Safety : Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
by Seth A. Klarman
3. Best of Business Card Design 6
by Blackcoffee Design Inc
4. Margin of Safety : Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
by Seth A. Klarman
5. Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini
6. Ayodhya without the Communal Stamp : In the Name of Indian Secularism
by Nilofar Suhrawardy
7. The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
8. 2012 The Shaman's Prophecy
by D. Rhoades Hoskins
9. McDonnell F-4 Phantom : Spirit in the Skies
by David Donald, Jon Lake
10. Turn for Worse
by W. R. Barna
11. Cost Accounting : A Managerial Emphasis
by Charles T. Horngren, Srikant M. Datar, George Foster
12. Glycemic Index Cooking Made Easy : Lose Weight, Eat Well, and Boost Your Energy Levels Using Low GI Foods
by Janette Brand Miller, Kaye Foster-Powell, Joanna McMillan-Price
13. Playing in Isolation : A History of Baseball in Taiwan
by Junwei Yu
Most of us just love hot water showers. In the morning if I get enough time to take a warm water shower it really makes my day. Following are some benefits of taking hot shower:
1. Reduces Stress:
This is the biggest benefit of taking a hot shower. If you stand under hot running water for 5-10 minutes, it really helps to calm your mind and reduce the stress. Many people tell that if they take a hot shower after a stressful day, it helps them to sleep much better.
2. Allergy relief (seasonal pollens):
The hot steam from the shower helps to give an immediate relief against allergies. It also drains all the pollens sticking to your body and hair.
3. Help during menstrual cramps:
Women who have menstrual cramps tell that they feel great after taking a hot water shower. They fell less pain in their tummy for about an hour.
4. Muscle relaxation and sore joints:
This is another huge advantage of taking bath in hot water. It helps you to relieve minor internal bruises, muscle relaxing and relief for the sore joints. It also helps stimulate better blood circulation.
5. Temporarily reduces flu symptoms:
Hot water also help to temporarily reduce some flu like symptoms like reducing mucus in your lungs and sinus relief.
Disadvantages of taking a hot water shower:
1. Dry skin and allergies.
A hot water shower is not good for skin, it makes skin dry and scaly. Hot steaming water can trigger allergies in some people (like Eczema).
Yes it is, since it is a relaxant, we tend to lake longer showers with time. We even tend to take shower from luke warm to steaming hot over time. Long showers also results in more water consumption, higher water bill and not good for environment (wastage of water).
3. Electricity bill:
Obviously, more electricity is needed to heat water and expense to buy and maintain the water heaters.
So if you like taking hot water showers, keep the water to luke warm and keep your shower under 5-10 minutes.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
The solar eclipse of July 22, 2009 was the longest total solar eclipse of the 21st century, lasting as much as 6 minutes and 39 seconds in some places. It caused tourist interest in eastern China, India and Nepal.
The eclipse was part of Saros series 136, as was the record-setting solar eclipse of July 11, 1991. The next event from this series will be on August 2, 2027. The exceptional duration was a result of the Moon being near perigee, with the apparent diameter of the Moon 8% larger than the Sun (magnitude 1.080) and the Earth being near aphelion where the Sun appeared slightly smaller.This was the second in the series of three eclipses in a one-month period, with the lunar eclipse on July 7 and the lunar eclipse on August 6.
Monday, July 20, 2009
- Nails and hair do not keep on growing after death contrary to what is often stated as fact. The truth is that the body dehydrates after death, resulting in an appearance of hair and nails that seem to grow.
- Finger nails grow faster than toe nails. Finger nails grow at the approximate rate of a half an inch every 100 days. If you bite your nails down to the flesh it takes at least a month to re-grow!
- Nails on longer fingers grow faster than nails on short fingers. Nails also grow faster on your dominant hand. So if you must bite your nails, concentrate on the middle finger of your right hand - if you are right handed.
- Massaging your finger tips will stimulate nail growth. So does typing on a keyboard.
- Nails grow much faster during pregnancy.
- Dry nails are mostly the result of not drinking enough. Unfortunately only water helps.
- A man's nails grow faster than a woman's. This does not make a man superior.
- Nails grow faster in warm sunny climates than in cold dark places. If you must bite your nails, move to Southern California.
- The older you are, the slower your nails grow.
- People biting nails do this out of habit. There is no medical cure. The only way to stop nail biting is to break the habit!
There was only ever going to be one winner in this aerial clash when Austrian pilot Hannes Arch collided with a bird.
1. First, regain your smile. A smile and a laugh aren't the same thing, but they do live in the same neighborhood. Be sure to smile at simple pleasures -- the sight of kids playing, a loved one or friend approaching, the successful completion of a task, the witnessing of something amazing or humorous. Smiles indicate that stress and the weight of the world haven't overcome you. If your day isn't marked by at least a few dozen, then you need to explore whether you are depressed or overly stressed.
2. Treat yourself to a comedy festival. Rent movies like Meet the Parents; Young Frankenstein; Pee-Wee's Big Adventure; Monty Python and the Holy Grail; This Is Spinal Tap; Animal House; Blazing Saddles; Trading Places; Finding Nemo. Reward yourself frequently with the gift of laughter, Hollywood style.
3. Recall several of the most embarrassing moments in your life. Then find the humor in them. Now practice telling stories describing them in a humorous way. It might take a little exaggeration or dramatization, but that's what good storytelling is all about. By revealing your vulnerable moments and being self-deprecating, you open yourself up much more to the humorous aspects of life.
4. Anytime something annoying and frustrating occurs, turn it on its head and find the humor. Sure, you can be angry at getting splashed with mud, stepping in dog poop, or inadvertently throwing a red towel in with the white laundry. In fact, that is probably the most normal response. But it doesn't accomplish anything other than to put you in a sour mood. Better to find a way to laugh at life's little annoyances. One way to do that: Think about it as if it happened to someone else, someone you like -- or maybe someone you don't. In fact, keep running through the Rolodex in your head until you find the best person you can think of to put in your current predicament. Laugh at him, then laugh at yourself!
5. Read the comics every day and cut out the ones that remind you of your life. Post them on a bulletin board or the refrigerator or anywhere else you can see them frequently.
6. Sort through family photographs and write funny captions or one-liners to go with your favorites. When you need a pick-me-up, pull out the album.
7. Every night at dinner, make family members share one funny or even embarrassing moment of their day.
8. When a person offends you or makes you angry, respond with humor rather than hostility. For instance, if someone is always late, say, "Well, I'm glad you're not running an airline." Life is too short to turn every personal affront into a battle. However, if you are constantly offended by someone in particular, yes, take it seriously and take appropriate action. But for occasional troubles, or if nothing you do can change the person or situation, take the humor response.
9. Check out the Top 10 list archive from David Letterman. You can find it at lateshow.cbs.com.
10. Spend 15 minutes a day having a giggling session. Here's how you do it: You and another person (partner, kid, friend, etc.) lie on the floor with your head on her stomach, and her head on another person's stomach and so on (the more people the better). The first person says, "Ha." The next person says, "Ha-ha." The third person says, "Ha-ha-ha." And so on. We guarantee you'll be laughing in no time.
11. Read the activity listings page in the newspaper and choose some laugh-inducing events to attend. It could be the circus, a movie, a stand-up comic, or a funny play. Sometimes it takes a professional to get you to regain your sense of humor.
12. Add an item to your daily to-do list: Find something humorous. Don't mark it off until you do it, suggests Jeanne Robertson, a humor expert and author of several books on the topic.
13. When you run into friends or coworkers, ask them to tell you one funny thing that has happened to them in the past couple of weeks. Become known as a person who wants to hear humorous true stories as opposed to an individual who prefers to hear gossip, suggests Robertson.
14. Find a humor buddy. This is someone you can call just to tell him something funny; someone who will also call you with funny stories of things he's seen or experienced, says Robertson.
15. Exaggerate and overstate problems. Making the situation bigger than life can help us to regain a humorous perspective, says Patty Wooten, R.N., an award-winning humorist and author of Compassionate Laughter: Jest for the Health of It. Cartoon caricatures, slapstick comedy, and clowning articles are all based on exaggeration, she notes.
16. Develop a silly routine to break a dark mood. It could be something as silly as speaking with a Swedish accent (unless you are Swedish, of course).
17. Create a humor environment. Have a ha-ha bulletin board where you only post funny sayings or signs, suggests Allen Klein, an award-winning professional speaker and author of The Healing Power of Humor. His favorite funny sign: "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it."
18. Experiment with jokes. Learn one simple joke each week and spread it around. One of Klein's favorites relates to his baldness: "What do you call a line of rabbits walking backward? A receding hare line."
19. Focus humor on yourself. "Because of my lack of hair," Klein says, "I tell people that I'm a former expert on how to cure baldness."
Sunday, July 19, 2009
What is shamanism?
The word shaman originated from a word in Siberia and eventually came to be applied to all medicine men and women of indigenous cultures who's practice includes the flight of the soul. Anthropologist studying indigenous cultures throughout the world, began to find that for different cultures, there were similarities in the way the medicine men and women worked with healing and connecting to the spiritual aspect of people and the world. While there were differences specific to culture, removing the the cultural reference revealed a core system of practice. The core practices are called core-Shamanism - a phrase coined by Michael Harner.
Shamanism is the practice of these core techniques, either for healing or to gain spiritual knowledge. Shamanism is sometime studied with the cultural reference, sometimes without, but the essential nature of the shamanic practice does not change, nor has it changed since ancient times. It has adapted to fit the times or the culture, but its essential core has been the same.
Shamanism is not a religion, not unless you want to make it into one. It has been and is being practiced by peoples of many religions, from Christianity, to Judaism, to Hinduism. You will find shamanic practitioners of every faith.
So what then is shamanism?
It is a direct experience of spiritual knowledge. Because of the direct nature of the work, it tends to facilitate growth in every religious faith. People will share shamanic experiences in groups, but the insight you gain from shamanic practice are unique to you.
As a healing practice shamanism has been very powerful for both the people of today and those reaching back into the beginnings of recorded history.
The reason that it is so powerful is because each healing is tailored to the needs of the individual being healed. Western medicine seeks to find one cure that works for many, if the number it helps is too small it isn't offered at all. The shaman provides unique treatment, which holistically addresses what a person needs at this time.
Psst://Nowaday, everyone know about Shaman King - Japanese Anime rather than the true shaman.
- Lee de Forest, 1926, inventor of the cathode ray tube
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas J. Watson, 1943, Chairman of the Board of IBM
It doesn't matter what he does, he will never amount to anything.
- Albert Einstein's teacher to his father, 1895
It will be years - not in my time - before a woman will become Prime Minister.
- Margaret Thatcher, 1974
This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.
- Western Union internal memo, 1876
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.
- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962
Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?
- H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927
640K ought to be enough for anybody.
- Bill Gates, 1981
Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction.
- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872
Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
We don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.
- Hewlett-Packard's rejection of Steve Jobs, who went on to found Apple Computers
King George II said in 1773 that the American colonies had little stomach for revolution.
An official of the White Star Line, speaking of the firm's newly built flagship, the Titanic, launched in 1912, declared that the ship was unsinkable.
In 1939 The New York Times said the problem of TV was that people had to glue their eyes to a screen, and that the average American wouldn't have time for it.
An English astronomy professor said in the early 19th century that air travel at high speed would be impossible because passengers would suffocate.
Airplanes are interesting toys, but they have no military value.
- Marshal Ferdinand Foch in 1911
With over 50 foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn't likely to carve out a big slice of the U.S. market.
- Business Week, 1958
Whatever happens, the U.S. Navy is not going to be caught napping.
- Frank Knox, U.S. Secretary of the Navy, on December 4, 1941
Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau.
- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, October 16, 1929.
Compiled somewhere between the second and fourth centuries B.C., it was written in Sanskrit by the Indian sage Vatsyayana. The work was based on earlier writings on sexual topics dating back as much as three thousand years.
Written for the wealthy male city-dweller, it was never meant to be a lover's guide for the masses. "Kama" means pleasure or sensual desire. It is the name of the Indian God that represents the sexual nature in man. "Sutra" means short books or aphorisms.
The Hindu "how-to" is divided into seven parts; general remarks, amorous advances, acquiring a wife, duties and privileges of a wife, relations with other men's wives, and a section about courtesans and occult means. The seventh part is an appendix to the main work.
The Kama Sutra details the many kissing techniques, courting practices, ways of treating marriage partners as well as consorts, and the concocting of aphrodisiacs.
The first English edition of the work was privately printed in 1883. Today this earliest surviving example of a written Hindu love-manual still has the power to fascinate with its insight into the ancient sexual mysteries of the Far East and the senual and sexual play of an ancient culture.
Sushi related terms and definitions which will help you as a guide to the Japanese dish.
Aji - Spanish mackerel, horse mackerel.
Akagai - Red clam or ark shell.
Akami - Lean tuna, cut from the back of the fish.
Ama-ebi - Sweet shrimp, usually served raw.
Baigai - Small water snails.
Bara sushi - Sushi rice and ingredients mixed together, as a rice salad.
Basashi - Horse sashimi.
Biiru - Beer.
Bulgogi - Korean style marinated beef dish.
California roll - Crab meat, smelt or flying fish roe, avocado.
Chirashi-zushi - Bed of sushi rice with other ingredients mixed on top.
Chutoro medium - Fatty tuna, from the upper belly.
Chutoro-maki - Marbled tuna roll.
Daikon - Giant, long white radish.
Dashi - Basic soup and cooking stock.
Engawa - Halibut fin muscle. Meat surrounding the scallop muscle.
Fugu - Blowfish. It is toxic if improperly prepared!
Fugu-chiri - Cooked, sliced raw fugu meat in a stewpan. Also blowfish soup.
Fukusa sushi - Type of sushi which is wrapped in a crepe.
Futo maki - Fat roll filled with rice, sweetened cooked egg, pickled gourd, and bits of vegetables.
Gunkan maki - Battleship roll, an alternate name for kakomi sushi.
Hamachi - Young yellowtail.
Hamaguri - Clam.
Harusame - Thin, transparent bean gelatin noodles.
Hashi - Chopsticks.
Hatahata - Sandfish.
Hikari-mono - Fish sliced for serving with the silver fish skin left on.
Hotatagai - Scallops.
Ika - Squid.
Ikura - Salmon roe.
Ishikari-nabe - Salmon stew with sake.
Iwashi - Sardine.
Kakomi sushi - Nigiri sushi wrapped to hold in less solid ingredients. Also called gunkan maki (battleship roll) and funamori (boat wrap).
Kamaboko - Fish cake made from pounded whitefish mixed with cornstarch, formed into a sausage shape and cooked.
Kappa - Cucumber, when used in a sushi roll.
Karei - Flounder, flatfish.
Kurodai - Snapper.
Kuruma-ebi - Prawn.
Maguro - Tuna. Also akami, tekka, toro.
Mekajiki - Blue marlin or swordfish.
Meshimono - Rice mixed with meat or vegetables.
Mochi - Sweet glutinous rice cakes.
Murasaki - Sushi bar term for soy sauce.
Nama-tako - Fresh or raw octopus.
Negitoro maki - Scallion-and-tuna roll.
Nigiri-zushi - Fish, shellfish, or fish roe over vinegared rice balls. <>
Sushi is a healthy food, Japanese gourmet dish.
Weird isn't it? Imagine he want to use a throttle? He must have a special skill to ride a motorcycle alone.Hmmmm...
By BRIAN MARTIN
KUALA LUMPUR: They may be die-hard Manchester United fans but they are Malaysians at heart.
The Red Devils may have won 3-2 yesterday but it was the plucky Harimau Muda team which captured the hearts at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil.
Awash with a sea of red, the stadium was filled with Manchester United fans, yet the biggest cheers were reserved for the courageous Malaysians who took the fight to their more illustrious opponents.
The “Mexican Wave” was produced several times before the names of each United player was read out.
Surprisingly, the loudest cheer was for Michael Owen, the high-profile former Liverpool player, who recently moved to the Manchester club.
Owen did not start but the fans were already calling for him long before he made his entrance at the 60th minute.
Vendors selling all kinds of foodstuff and souvenirs outside the stadium did brisk business as fans started streaming in as early as 2pm. The match started at 5.30pm.
While the atmosphere inside the stadium was electric, the same could not be said outside.
Royal fan: Sultan of Pahang Sultan Ahmad Shah (right) taking a photo with Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson after presenting him with a souvenir at the Bukit Jalil National Stadium yesterday. Looking on is Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek (left).
Many fans were caught in hour-long traffic jams and tempers were further frayed when they were subjected to security checks before being allowed into the stadium.
Once inside, however, the match proved to be an enjoyable experience.
Singaporean Cavin Poh, 31, said that despite the traffic-snarled roads, his trip to watch his heroes was worth every penny.
“I flew in on Friday and will leave early tomorrow (today). It was just amazing seeing Rooney and Giggs in the flesh. I only wish Man Utd will visit Singapore soon,” he said.
Poh and thousands others like him must be jumping for joy because in the post-match press conference, it was announced that United would play a rematch with the Malaysian selection at 8.45pm on Monday.
Tickets – RM308 for the grandstand and RM58 for the rest of the stadium - will be available from today at ticket pro outlets nationwide.
Tickets will also be sold from noon to 7pm today and on Monday at the stadium.
Call the ticketpro hotline at 03-78807999 for details.
Source : The Star
Saturday, July 18, 2009
If there is one way to get a girl's attention, it's to make her jealous. Jealous girls are putty in your hands. You can begin to date them or get back together with them after a break up. There is something so competitive in a the female psyche, especially when it comes to men. When a girl feels her territory is being threatened, she craves whatever it is that she can no longer have. Sometimes getting the girl of your dreams is as simple as making her jealous.
1. Stop calling her. If you have her mobile phone number and you call her with any frequency, stop. Don't even text or email her. If you want her to come to a get together, have a friend contact her in your place. Cut her off cold turkey and she'll wonder what's wrong.
2. Talk to other girls in her eyeshot. Make sure you are at places you know she will be. When she shows up, make sure there are other girls around you. In fact, buy a girl a drink in front of her.
3. Laugh a lot when you are talking to other girls. Look like you are having a good time and couldn't care less where she is located. Playfully put your arm around another girl's shoulders or give another girl a hug. This flirting would drive any girl to jealousy.
4. Keep your eyes off of her. Don't look in her direction while she is there. If she sees you glancing back at her every couple of minutes she'll know you are just trying to make her jealous. You literally want her to believe you are having a great time and the last thing on your mind is her.
5. Give her a slight nod when you leave. When you leave the bar or establishment, make sure you give her slight acknowledgment. This way she knows that you saw her, but still didn't care what she was doing. If you completely ignore her, she'll think you are doing it on purpose
This guy in